Stephen Chan is a director of the firm. He is the firm's Head of Risk and Chairman of the Risk Management Committee.
Professional qualifications and credentials
- Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FCPA)
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (FCA)
- Fellow of the Association of International Accountants (FAIA)
Stephen has a strong technical and regulatory background. He was the Executive Director and Technical Director of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) for over ten years, before joining the firm.
Public and professional volunteer activities
Stephen actively participates in different functional committees of the HKICPA, including Disciplinary Panel B and Accountants' Report Sub-Committee. He has served as the President of the International Association of Accountants (AIA), Hong Kong Branch, and a member of the ACCA Accountants for Business Global Forum.
He has also actively participated in the work of The Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CICPA) by serving as:
- Member of the Expert Advisory Group on the CICPA Code of Ethics
- Member of the Expert Advisory Group on the Chinese Standards on Auditing
He has served as:
- Member of the Financial Reporting Advisory Panel of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited
- Member of the HKICPA Financial Reporting Standards Committee, Auditing and Assurance Standards Committee and Ethics Committee
Professional training and speaking engagements
Stephen conducts in-house risk management, professional and technical training for staff and also clients of the firm, and one of the major events is the BDO Executive Forum on Hong Kong Financial Reporting Standards.
He also speaks regularly at professional and technical seminars on risk management, Hong Kong Financial Reporting Standards, Hong Kong Standards on Auditing and Professional Ethics for members of the major professional accountancy bodies, and university postgraduates and undergraduates, including:
- CPA Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW)
- The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong
- The University of Warwick MSc in Programme and Project Management
- Shanghai University, Xiamen University, Jiangxi University of Finance & Economics, Shanghai Lixin University of Commerce and Zhejiang University of Finance & Economics.
Risk management, professional and technical publications
Stephen is a regular contributor of articles on risk management, professional and technical subjects to many professional journals and publications, including AIA, CICPA, HKICPA, ICAEW and ACCA.
BDO network activities
Stephen actively participates in the BDO Network activities representing the firm. He represents the firm on the BDO International Risk Management Committee. He has been a member of the BDO Audit Steering Committee, and has also served as the BDO Regional Audit Advisor of the Asia Pacific Region A providing technical and practice management support to the BDO Member Firms in the Asia Pacific Region, including Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea and Indonesia.